Student life as a masters student at NU London

NU London Student Blog | September 17, 2024

Being a masters student is exciting in many ways, but it is also completely different from being an undergraduate student. With a masters degree typically lasting only one year, the question arises: as a postgraduate student can you focus on your studies whilst still having a meaningful student and social life? Fortunately, all these concerns faded away after my first week at Northeastern University London (NU London).

The university offers numerous opportunities and hosts many events that connect us with other students outside of academic studies. Let me take you through some of my fondest memories.

Postgraduate events

The university itself hosts around 150 events to celebrate cultures, festivals, and to support students during exams. One of the most memorable events I attended was the west end show Hamilton with my peers. Throughout my time at NU London, we were given many similar opportunities to explore London’s culture and spending time with my peers outside of university allowed us to form better connections. This event was also attended by both PhD and postgraduate students, giving us the chance to meet more people and form friendships that have lasted beyond our time at university.

Student societies

One of the highlights of my undergraduate studies was spending time in student societies and meeting like-minded people to achieve common goals. When I began my masters degree, I was worried that there wouldn’t be enough time to engage in extracurricular activities like joining societies or even starting one of my own. However, during my year of postgraduate study, I joined several societies, such as Effective Altruism and the Philosophy Society. Most importantly, I had the chance to start my very own AI & Ethics Society. With the help and support of the Students’ Union, our society hosted over 35 events in the span of 5 months.

Student ambassador life

Another great opportunity at NU London is being a student ambassador. It’s a student job where you can earn extra money – which is always helpful as a university student – while gaining valuable work experience. You can work in departments such as Marketing, Recruitment, or my favourite, Widening Participation. You will receive training and work shifts; for example, in Widening Participation, you get to work with middle school or high school students, showing them around the university and encouraging them to pursue their own dreams. This has been a wonderful and meaningful opportunity for me to learn and grow.

In the end, it’s up to you to explore and live your masters life to the fullest. Thankfully, at NU London, there is never a shortage of opportunities and chances for students to do just that.

By Jennifer Huang, MSc Artificial Intelligence & Ethics